[IPython-User] Connecting to existing terminal console from qtconsole

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Jun 6 11:45:06 CDT 2013

On 6 June 2013 17:15, Vladan Divljak <ghostility@gmail.com> wrote:

> I made trivial module which dumps me in IPython terminal console on script
> exception, and I'm not sure how to connect to this console from qtconsole.
>
> Code that bring me in terminal IPython console is like this:
>
>     from IPython.frontend.terminal.embed import InteractiveShellEmbed
>     InteractiveShellEmbed()(stack_depth=2)
>
> I tried to connect with this command `ipython qtconsole --existing` in
> which case IPython qtconsole never reaches to prompt.

The plain terminal client doesn't start a kernel, so it won't accept
connections. You can, however, start an IPython kernel in your application,
and then connect clients to that. This example might be useful:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/examples/lib/internal_ipkernel.py

Thomas