[IPython-User] IPython notebok: interactive manipulation of camera coordinates

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik@gmail....
Thu Jun 6 12:48:19 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to use the ipython notebook for 3D
visualization.
I have compiled VTK 6 with offscreen rendering support + Python
wrappers and it works excellent, here is a demo notebook:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/5723420

if you scroll down, you'll see that the main problem now is some more
interactive way to figure out optimal camera coordinates, which is
quite hard to do if you can't see immediately how it looks like.

The ideal solution would be to have interactive widgets, where I drag
a slider and it would call my Python function that re-renders the
scene with new camera coordinates. But my understanding is that this
is on the plan for around the end of the year.

The next best thing would be to just loop over let's say 10 different
values of camera coordinates and show 10 images, and I would then pick
the one I like.

Is there some way to output 10 images as a cell output? I know how to
output one image per cell using the Image class.

Do you have any other tips to improve my workflow? So far for quite
simple things I prefer the ipython notebook workflow better than
Paraview or Mayavi, because I can install the notebook easily without
big hard dependencies like Qt. And I like that I have all the Python
code there ready to be run & modified. One can also use Mayavi in the
notebook as well, but so far I installed VTK 6 and Mayavi requires VTK
< 6 at the moment.

Ondrej