[IPython-User] running sum(datetime.timedelta) gives an error! but not always

Moritz Emanuel Beber moritz.beber@gmail....
Thu Jun 27 06:22:16 CDT 2013

Hi there,

On 06/24/2013 07:09 PM, BrunoV wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to this list and a beginner in python.
>   I'm trying to use datetime module.
> to do it simple here is the part of the  code I'm using:
>
> import datetime as dtm
> toto = [[dtm.timedelta(0, 25200), dtm.timedelta(0, 3600)]]
> print sum(toto)
I don't immediately get why you want a list of lists [[...]] rather than
a list [...] here. That is probably part of the TypeError.

> If I start ipython with this line:
> ipython -pylab -wthread and then  copy paste these lines in Ipython console
> using %cpaste
> everything it is working as expected.
My guess is the following: when you do -pylab ipython also does an from
numpy import * so that the sum function is actually numpy.sum and not
the python standard. (You can test this by simply entering sum into the
prompt, it will show the module it's from.)

> But if I run the file containing this portion of code using the %run
> the_file.py, I get the following error:
>
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'int' and 'list'
> WARNING: Failure executing file: <try.py>
>
> I get the same error in Ipython console when Ipython is started without any
> option.
> So I suppose the error is linked with the use of  pylab option.
> Is it normal that using %run, and  using %cpaste I'm getting the same
> behaviour?
>
> How can I get my script working using %run
> Thank you very much for your answers.
So try with a single list and then %run (which using the standard sum
function), that should work.