[IPython-User] switching between display representations in the frontend

Thomas Hisch t.hisch@gmail....
Sun Mar 3 07:26:32 CST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Matthias BUSSONNIER
<bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Le 3 mars 2013 à 08:41, Thomas Hisch a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> the sympy printing extension configures formatters for rendering latex
>> expressions: image/png and text/latex. According to [0] all
>> representations of an object for which multiple formatters are
>> registers will be calculated and sent to the frontend but only one is
>> displayed in the frontend. Is there a way to switch the default
>> displayed repr in the frontend (without using display_xxx manually for
>> each obj)?
>
> On dev version of the notebook, you can monkey-patch the javascript :
>
>         IPython.OutputArea.display_order
>
> Which default value is :
>
>         [ "javascript", "html", "latex", "svg", "png", "jpeg", "text" ]
>
> It is not really supported yet, and have chance of not working at load time.

I want to avoid monky-patching the javascript part of the notebook as
a fix for the 'display-order' problem should be integrated into the
sympy printing extension. I can think of disabling the latex_formatter
with latex_formatter.enabled=False in [0] and if mathjax rendered
output is desired then set 'enabled' to True.

@sympy devs: is enabling and disabling the latex_formatter an option
to be able to switch between png output and mathjax output in the
notebook/qtconsole? (This problem is related to [1])

Regards
thomas

[0] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/interactive/printing.py#L144
[1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1776