[IPython-User] cannot run ipython dev using python3 from GIT source?

Wed Mar 6 08:59:03 CST 2013

Le 6 mars 2013 à 15:43, Dennis Daniels a écrit :

> Greetings
>
> I seek clarification.
>
> I would like to run the dev version of ipython using python3. However I was told this is not possible.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15229081/installing-from-git-errors-python-setupegg-py-develop
>
> The errors that I received on TRYING to run ipython dev using Python3.2.x appears to confirm that it is not possible to run ipython 1.0 dev pulled from GIT using python3.2x.
>
> That does surprise me though... could someone explain this rational, please?

Hi Dennis,

the source code of IPython itself is written in python 2.7,

We do our best to have as much compatibility with python3 , but the source is not compatible **as is** with python3, it needs to go through the conversion process called 2to3
you can search on github issue tracker there are extensive discussion on what is both (2 and 3) compatible and what is not.

We do our best to have as much as possible compatible with both python 2 and 3 but it is not that easy.

This does not mean that you cannot run the current 1.0-dev using Python3, just that you **have to** go through the install process every time you make a change to the source.
Or you can apply 2to3 by hand and then modify the source as you wish.

So to use IPython 1.0-dev with python 3, use `python setup.py install` and **not** setupegg.py nor `python3 ipython.py`

--
Matt