[IPython-User] [IPython-dev] ANN: Exhibitionist - integrating HTML/JS UIs into interactive python work

yoval p. y-p@gmx....
Wed Mar 6 19:02:43 CST 2013

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you're planning to set up
up some PAAS that serves notebooks to the user backed by kernels
running massive parallel jobs in a your own cloud somewhere. That'll
probably find some users, wouldn't it? :). Yes, if you don't forward
connections, this won't work. But I'm not terribly upset by that.

It sounds like users who run everything locally will have no issues,
nor will users who manage their own instances on some cloud provider,
and are free to setup an SSH tunnel. good enough for me.

The new architetcure is sounding ever more glorious, it's going
to be an exciting year for IPython users!

Thanks,
Yoval

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Granger
Sent: 03/07/13 01:51 AM
To: IPython developers list
Subject: Re: [IPython-User] [IPython-dev] ANN: Exhibitionist - integrating HTML/JS UIs into interactive python work

Hi, On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM, yoval p. <y-p@gmx.com> wrote: > > As for strong assumptions, The only assumption I'm really making > is that there's a network connection between the front-end and > where the kernel is. That is the critical assumption that we make absolutely no promise to maintain. Right now the notebook server happens to run on the same host as the kernel, but that is not a requirement in any way. You should assume that the kernel could be running on a different host that has absolutely no network connectivity to the outside world other than the notebook server host. The main IPython message architecture is designed precisely to allow the kernel to run anywhere - that is why we say these are the official way of talking to the kernel. Cheers, Brian