[IPython-User] notebook server dies when logging out of terminal

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye@gmail....
Tue Mar 12 20:28:35 CDT 2013

> For most processes you would have to start them with 'nohup' and
> redirect their stdout and stderr streams to be able to just log out

I have been told that this is a very old strategy and that things
should totally run without nohup, as long as one puts the process into
the background?
Care to comment?

> without them being affected. I highly recommend 'screen' as Matthias
> already mentioned. You can even start the notebook inside a screen
> session with a single command:
>
> $ screen -dmS your_screen_session_name_here ipython notebook
> --profile=nbserver
>
> 'screen' is a great utility to learn anyway since you can have "multiple
> terminals" through a single ssh session. When you later want to interact
> with programs running inside of screen, simply type:
>
> $ screen -r
> or
> $ screen -r your_screen_session_name_here
>
> if you have multiple screen instances.

I even have issues when using screen as a base for the notebook server.
It sometimes leaves the notebook 'inactive' (cells are not executed)
UNTIL I would put the screen session where the notebook server is
running into the foreground!

Hmpf…. :(