[IPython-User] Self-contained Mac app distribution for IPython Notebook

Marc Liyanage marc@entropy...
Tue Mar 12 14:42:05 CDT 2013

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback.

The embedded virtualenv is considered read-only, mostly because I want to ship a set of tested and known working modules, but also because any change in there would break the code signature. The target audience for this app are people who don't want to install any modules themselves at all, and for those I'd like to come up with and include a set of popular extensions that cover most needs for science, statistics, computer vision etc.

For the people who want to extend this set, the app should currently also pick up modules installed into the system-wide sys.path locations, so that is an option. I personally use that feature to get access to the "Foundation" Obj-C bridge that is present on OS X. IPython notebook in combination with that is perfect for experimenting with short snippets of code.

Perhaps I should implement the ability to add additional directories for the PYTHONPATH in the app's preferences? That way people who do want to install additional modules but don't want to change their system-wide site-packages could append their own virtualenvs to the module search path? That also has the advantage that when I update the app itself, those user-supplied modules are not touched.

I thought that people might ask for multiple windows :-) I will investigate that and put it on the feature list. It might not make it into the first few releases.

> Sounds very interesting.
> But i keep getting the following error "server failed to start up"
> Is there anything i need to set up before running?
>
> I am on OSX 10.8.2

If you get this message, I'd like to get your console logs to see if anything points to the problem. Perhaps try to trash and redownload the app, in case you tried to change any files inside the app bundle. That might have invalidated the code signature. You could also try the following and send me the output along with the console logs:

$ codesign -vv /path/to/IPython\ Notebook.app
/path/to/IPython Notebook.app: valid on disk
/path/to/IPython Notebook.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

and

$ codesign -vv /path/to/IPython\ Notebook.app/Contents/Resources/virtualenv/bin/python
/path/to/IPython Notebook.app/Contents/Resources/virtualenv/bin/python: valid on disk
/path/to/IPython Notebook.app/Contents/Resources/virtualenv/bin/python: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Where should I announce a project like this so the intended audience learns about it?