[IPython-User] Self-contained Mac app distribution for IPython Notebook

Marc Liyanage marc@entropy...
Tue Mar 12 18:50:33 CDT 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> This looks good so far.  Would love to see something like this on the
> Mac App Store.

I agree, that would be nice, I'll have to investigate that. That was one of the reasons for keeping it sandboxed.

> In addition to putting the menu bar in the real menubar, it would be
> great to remap all the keyboard shortcuts from Ctrl-m key to just
> Command-key.

I was wondering about this myself and I am wondering what other people think about this. I wasn't sure if users of the app who already know IPython Notebook would be irritated by having the shortcuts changed. Personally, I got used to the Ctrl-m shortcuts quickly, and now if I ever drop into another instance of the Notebook again I won't have to remember to switch to the "other" set of shortcuts. Perhaps offering both the native and new Mac-app specific shortcuts would be a good solution.

A drawback of hiding the in-window menu bar and trying to cover its functionality with the native one is that as IPython Notebook evolves upstream, I'll have to play catch up all the time. It will always be a web app and I'm not sure if it's a good strategy to pretend it's not.