[IPython-User] Self-contained Mac app distribution for IPython Notebook

Marc Liyanage marc@entropy...
Wed Mar 13 11:07:52 CDT 2013

Unfortunately that is a different sandbox error. Is there one that happens exactly at the moment you try the ls command? The process name in this one is "mdworker", which is unrelated. Is there one with a process name of either "python" or "IPython Notebook"?

Regarding Sparkle, you should have gotten that as part of the git clone, but it is a submodule, so you have to initialize the submodule after the clone:

git clone https://github.com/liyanage/ipython-notebook.git
cd ipython-notebook
git submodule update --init

Thanks for the "make -j" extension, I was planning to add that. I know the build of the virtualenv takes a very long time.

On Mar 13, 2013, at 7:04 AM, epi <massimodisasha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Marc,
>
> drug'n'drop a directory on the dock icon / or adding it in the preference wrks fine,
> i can "cd" into it but "ls" is still giving the sandbox error i attached  [0] the console log
>
> i got it building, i had to add sparkle.framework and change the code sign preference.
> i added this line in the build truing to speed it up :
>
> ncpu=$(sysctl hw.ncpu | awk '{print $2}')
> make -j $ncpu install
>
> [0]  http://epi.whoi.edu/esr/55156
>

> Il giorno 12/mar/2013, alle ore 19:32, Marc Liyanage <marc@entropy.ch> ha scritto:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> the app runs sandboxed, and I suspect there's an issue with that. Please check in your Console.app if there is a "sandbox violation" message. If there is, there should be a paperclip icon at the right end of that log line. If you click that you should get a sandbox violation report with a stack trace. E-mail me that and I'll take a look.
>>
>> There are likely quite a few restrictions put on the code because it runs in the sandbox. I haven't had any issues with the examples I tried, but you definitely need to explicitly give it file system access to locations that your code wants to access. You can do that in the Preferences or just drop folders onto the app's dock icon.
>>
>> About the build, send me the build failure messages and I'll see if it's something I recognize, but unfortunately I don't have time to support you with getting the project built, you are definitely on your own there. There are quite a few dependencies (such as the fortran compiler) and most of it is automated with the build scripts, but it's by no means bullet proof or easily buildable.
>>

>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:24 PM, epi <massimodisasha@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Marc,
>>>
>>> testing the app bundle, i got errors truing to run system commands :
>>>

>>> In [23]:
>>>
>>> cd
>>> /Users/epi/Library/Containers/ch.entropy.ipython-notebook/Data
>>> In [22]:
>>>
>>> pwd
>>> Out[22]:
>>> u'/Users/epi/Library/Containers/ch.entropy.ipython-notebook/Data'