[IPython-User] notebook server dies when logging out of terminal

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye@gmail....
Thu Mar 14 15:54:47 CDT 2013

On 2013-03-14 19:34:41 +0000, K.-Michael Aye said:

> On 2013-03-13 21:47:47 +0000, Moritz Beber said:
>
>> Detach only Ctrl d and then exit the SSH session
>
> I just did exactly that:
>
> ipython notebook --profile=notebook
> (without backgrounding)
> then detached it with Ctrl-A and exited the SSH session.
> Then i logged into the https secured notebook springboard which was
> fine, but when i launched a notebook, the cells were already not
> executing. :(

I found at least out now, that it must have something to do with an X
connection breakdown. Because:
1. I get an error message in the screen console where the notebook is
running about failure to connect X.
2. When I shut down the notebook server, and immediately try to launch
an xterm, it fails as well, both in- and outside of 'screen'.
3. I logged out of the remote machine, logged back in, tried that X is
working via launching an xterm and relaunched the notebook server as
above, detached and logged out, and currently it is working. It's just
very likely it will stop working sometime later again, but now, when I
notice, I will immediately check for the X connection to confirm the
correlation.

Michael