[IPython-User] notebook server dies when logging out of terminal

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye@gmail....
Thu Mar 14 20:17:24 CDT 2013

On 2013-03-14 20:58:04 +0000, K.-Michael Aye said:

> On 2013-03-14 20:54:47 +0000, K.-Michael Aye said:

>>> I just did exactly that:
>>>
>>> ipython notebook --profile=notebook
>>> (without backgrounding)
>>> then detached it with Ctrl-A and exited the SSH session.
>>> Then i logged into the https secured notebook springboard which was
>>> fine, but when i launched a notebook, the cells were already not
>>> executing. :(
>>
>> I found at least out now, that it must have something to do with an X
>> connection breakdown. Because:
>> 1. I get an error message in the screen console where the notebook is
>> running about failure to connect X.
>> 2. When I shut down the notebook server, and immediately try to launch
>> an xterm, it fails as well, both in- and outside of 'screen'.
>> 3. I logged out of the remote machine, logged back in, tried that X is
>> working via launching an xterm and relaunched the notebook server as
>> above, detached and logged out, and currently it is working. It's just
>> very likely it will stop working sometime later again, but now, when I
>> notice, I will immediately check for the X connection to confirm the
>> correlation.
>
> Ok, it's definitely something with X. So, because I have pylab running
> not in 'inline' mode, I guess it requires the X connection, which then
> will die when I log out of the SSH, does that make sense? Basically, I
> HAVE to run the notebook server with pylab=inline?

Switching to pylab inline backend still did not help. After some hours
of not using it (having a Mac Fluid app open in the background with an
open notebook), the notebook became unresponsive again, this time
without dead kernel warning, it just won't execute any cells. The
screen session had this for me waiting:

WARNING:root:Read error on 7: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Nothing more. At least this could be repaired by a simple restart of
the notebook, not a complete shut-down/restart cycle of the notebook
server.

Another idea I have: The heartbeat port is set to random, we have a
firewall around the server that is running the notebook, with only a
few open ports for a Redmine server and the ipython notebook. Could
this be a problem?

Michael