[IPython-User] Self-contained Mac app distribution for IPython Notebook

Marc Liyanage marc@entropy...
Sat Mar 16 16:20:25 CDT 2013

Hi Nitin,

fair question. Some goals of this distribution:

- No installer, just a double-clickable .app bundle, the way modern Mac apps are supposed to be distributed. This lets people uninstall it very easily, and it's required if I ever want to put this on the Mac App Store (which also requires it to be sandboxed, which it is).
- Built-in WebKit view, no need to first start up the notebook server and then connect to it in a browser. The user double-clicks it, the server starts, and immediately sees a window with the notebook list right away. I *think* the other distributions don't do that. I have however been encouraged by the Continuum Analytics people to look into basing it on their distribution instead of building the various scientific Python modules myself.
- Tighter integration with the Cocoa shell to make it feel a bit more like a real Mac app, for things like OS X-level association with the .ipynb document type (so you can double-click them to import them), warnings for unsaved changes etc.