[IPython-User] evolution of sharing IPYNB?

Paul Ivanov pi@berkeley....
Sun Mar 17 12:28:45 CDT 2013

Thomas Kluyver, on 2013-03-17 17:21,  wrote:
> On 17 March 2013 15:31, Dennis Daniels <dennisgdaniels@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What of Ipython? Is there a way to make sharing and reusing and editing
> > and reposting IPYNB files as easy as possible?
>
> The missing bit, as I see it, is a convenient way to interact with gists
> from the notebook. At present, you have to save a notebook file, open it in
> a text editor, copy the contents, paste into gist, click save, copy the
> link, go to nbviewer, paste the link and get the resulting view. I'm pretty
> sure it should be possible to automate that, so you can just click 'post to
> gist' and get back an nbviewer link. With some more work, it should be
> possible to track a gist associated with a notebook, and save later
> versions as edits/forks of that gist.

Min's already done this, it's one of his ipython_extensions at
the moment, (see gist.js and gist.py) and requires a command-line
jist tool to publish to gist.

https://github.com/minrk/ipython_extensions

When you load the gist extension, it places a little upload UI
element in the notebook toolbar that looks like this [^] and
clicking it will post to gist, and store the gist id in the
metadata of the notebook, so that future clicks on that button
will just update the gist. This has been very useful for me, and
I'd vote to include it ipython proper, since we're already giving
gists a somewhat privileged status with respect to nbviewer urls.

best,
--
Paul Ivanov