[IPython-User] evolution of sharing IPYNB?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Mar 17 12:36:29 CDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Paul Ivanov <pi@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Thomas Kluyver, on 2013-03-17 17:21,  wrote:
> > On 17 March 2013 15:31, Dennis Daniels <dennisgdaniels@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What of Ipython? Is there a way to make sharing and reusing and editing
> > > and reposting IPYNB files as easy as possible?
> >
> > The missing bit, as I see it, is a convenient way to interact with gists
> > from the notebook. At present, you have to save a notebook file, open it
> in
> > a text editor, copy the contents, paste into gist, click save, copy the
> > link, go to nbviewer, paste the link and get the resulting view. I'm
> pretty
> > sure it should be possible to automate that, so you can just click 'post
> > gist' and get back an nbviewer link. With some more work, it should be
> > possible to track a gist associated with a notebook, and save later
> > versions as edits/forks of that gist.
>
> Min's already done this, it's one of his ipython_extensions at
> the moment, (see gist.js and gist.py) and requires a command-line
> jist tool to publish to gist.
>
> https://github.com/minrk/ipython_extensions
>
> When you load the gist extension, it places a little upload UI
> element in the notebook toolbar that looks like this [^] and
> clicking it will post to gist, and store the gist id in the
> metadata of the notebook, so that future clicks on that button
> will just update the gist. This has been very useful for me, and
> I'd vote to include it ipython proper, since we're already giving
> gists a somewhat privileged status with respect to nbviewer urls.

The main thing preventing me from proposing it for IPython proper is that
it shouldn't depend on the jist gem.
We should just use the GitHub API an oauth, to actually send the notebook
to GitHub from the browser.
But I use jist all the time anyway, so this was the shortest path (it's a
trivial extension) to getting it up and running for personal use.