[IPython-User] evolution of sharing IPYNB?

Sun Mar 17 12:40:16 CDT 2013

Le 17 mars 2013 à 18:28, Paul Ivanov a écrit :

> Thomas Kluyver, on 2013-03-17 17:21,  wrote:
>> On 17 March 2013 15:31, Dennis Daniels <dennisgdaniels@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What of Ipython? Is there a way to make sharing and reusing and editing
>>> and reposting IPYNB files as easy as possible?
>>
>> The missing bit, as I see it, is a convenient way to interact with gists
>> from the notebook. At present, you have to save a notebook file, open it in
>> a text editor, copy the contents, paste into gist, click save, copy the
>> link, go to nbviewer, paste the link and get the resulting view. I'm pretty
>> sure it should be possible to automate that, so you can just click 'post to
>> gist' and get back an nbviewer link. With some more work, it should be
>> possible to track a gist associated with a notebook, and save later
>> versions as edits/forks of that gist.
>
> Min's already done this, it's one of his ipython_extensions at
> the moment, (see gist.js and gist.py) and requires a command-line
> jist tool to publish to gist.
>
> https://github.com/minrk/ipython_extensions
>
> When you load the gist extension, it places a little upload UI
> element in the notebook toolbar that looks like this [^] and
> clicking it will post to gist, and store the gist id in the
> metadata of the notebook, so that future clicks on that button
> will just update the gist. This has been very useful for me, and
> I'd vote to include it ipython proper, since we're already giving
> gists a somewhat privileged status with respect to nbviewer urls.

But then the extension should have some cleanup.
Like what append if you don't have the right to push on the gist ?
If you push without saving, not use setTimeout, but listen on notebook event.

If you don't have acces to the gist you probably want to 'fork it' before pushing,
and it should probably handle multi-file gists.

It also involves the kernel, but we should be able to have acces to the ipynb file,
which is not always the case if you cd elsewhere.

So IMHO, including it "as is" is not good. We could also do it 100% in js with github.js.

--
Matthias