[IPython-User] Self-contained Mac app distribution for IPython Notebook

Nitin Borwankar nborwankar@gmail....
Mon Mar 18 18:44:04 CDT 2013

Hi Marc,

Thanks very much for clarifying.
Yes all this seems very valuable, especially the WebKit view.

The one issue I see that might arise (and is an ongoing problem on Macs due
to Apple's Python being out of sync with the world) is a difference between
bundled Python version in your .app and Python version in the $PATH.
So when I do something in the Webkit view and then I do something in say
QtConsole, to get say interactive matplotlib, I may get different behaviors
at best and exceptions at worst in one or the other.

Worse still - and this happens to me all the time - you think you've
installed a package but you forgot you're in a different Py version now so
you have to install it all over again and the new install of the package is
the latest version and your old install is a previous version so even after
installing there is a potential conflict.

Ideally if you use say AnacondaCE for your bundled distro and then detect
an already installed Anaconda then you might want to just use the existing
one or at least give the user a clear option - with a VERY LARGE BUTTON for
people like me :-).

Looking forward to a 10.7 version - you might consider that supporting one
older OS version is somewhat common, although I understand your focus on a
single one to get started.

Thanks much.

Nitin

Nitin Borwankar