[IPython-User] Launching IPython kernel in a new thread instead of new process

Marc Liyanage marc@entropy...
Mon Mar 18 10:52:09 CDT 2013

When I launch IPython notebook, a new process is launched for the kernel. I was wondering if it's possible to prevent that and instead run the kernel in a new thread of the same process. I can use the C API and instantiate multiple Python environments if that helps.

There are two reasons why I'd like to avoid forking:

1.) On OS X, the process gets killed if it is already multithreaded, and for a GUI app that's always the case
2.) I'd like to use the Objective-C bridge and let the Python code access Obj-C objects in the same process

Is this possible, or is IPython fundamentally based on fork/exec?