[IPython-User] Switching back from dev version

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Tue Mar 19 18:56:49 CDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM, justin <jg3705a@student.american.edu>wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Justin,

> This is probably a stupid question but I recently installed the
> development version of ipython by cloning the github version and doing a
> sudo python setup.py install.  Now I want to switch back to using (and
> only having) 13.1
>
> I have tried uninstalling ipython everyway that I know, but everytime I
> reinstall 13.1, Ipython starts up in the development version again.  I
> am on Ubuntu 12.10.

How did you try to uninstall?

I have no idea if this is best practice, but I usually just delete

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/

You can make sure of the directory by

python -c"import IPython; print IPython.__file__"

and the

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ipython*.egg-info

You likely won't need to remove the /usr/local/bin/ip* files.

Then make sure you have clean source directory.

git clean -xdf
git checkout rel-0.13.1

in the source directory (you may need a sudo the clean step if you built
the source with sudo). Then you should be able to reinstall and be good to
go.

hth,

Skipper