[IPython-User] Switching back from dev version

justin jg3705a@student.american....
Tue Mar 19 22:47:03 CDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 07:56 PM, Skipper Seabold wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM, justin <jg3705a@student.american.edu
> <mailto:jg3705a@student.american.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,

HI Skipper,

> Hi Justin,
>

>     This is probably a stupid question but I recently installed the
>     development version of ipython by cloning the github version and
>     doing a
>     sudo python setup.py install.  Now I want to switch back to using (and
>     only having) 13.1
>
>     I have tried uninstalling ipython everyway that I know, but
>     everytime I
>     reinstall 13.1, Ipython starts up in the development version again.  I
>     am on Ubuntu 12.10.
>

> How did you try to uninstall?
>
> I have no idea if this is best practice, but I usually just delete
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/
This did it.  Thank you

> You can make sure of the directory by
>
> python -c"import IPython; print IPython.__file__"
>
> and the
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ipython*.egg-info
>
> You likely won't need to remove the /usr/local/bin/ip* files.
I actually did this as one of my first attempts but obviously, to no avail.

> Then make sure you have clean source directory.
>
> git clean -xdf
> git checkout rel-0.13.1
I didn't need to do this since I already deleted the ipython source
directory in my other attempts to uninstall.

> in the source directory (you may need a sudo the clean step if you
> built the source with sudo). Then you should be able to reinstall and
> be good to go.
thanks for the help.