[IPython-User] session settings

Fri Mar 29 03:58:29 CDT 2013

Hi Catherine,

Magics are not the area where I am comfortable, but if I had to guess I would have said that those could be Configurable object.
Looking at the code it seem like they can be (IPython.core.magic:394) but they are not passed the config object.

Script magic go around by subclassing both Magics and Configurable (IPython.core.magics.script:74) and get config from `shell.config` L119
so having IPython config files to set parameters, should work.

If magics inherit Configurable, I guess there would be a way to use also the %config magic to set parameters, but I'm not sure
how.

You can append your magic class to shell.configurables in  __init__ , it does indeed do the trick and magics class will be listed  via %config once you do that… but  I can't figure out how to assign value as it does not seem to work.

I guess inspecting IPython.core.magic should help

Not sure if this was what you were hoping for.

--
Matthias