[IPython-User] A few magic commands useful for object inspection

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Mar 29 10:51:20 CDT 2013

On 28 March 2013 23:15, Greg Novak <greg.novak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I packaged up some code I've been using myself for a long time to find or
> inspect objects within IPython.  The implementation is totally independent
> of IPython (so anyone can use it) but I've provided magic commands to make
> it especially convenient to use within IPython.

Cool, thanks!

You use it just by saying 'import grasp' and it registers the magic commands

You might want to make it an IPython extension, which makes the integration
a bit cleaner (you don't need to catch NameError). You just call
ip.register_magics inside a 'load_ipython_extension' function. The full
details are at
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html

You're also welcome to add it to the extensions index:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Extensions-Index

Thomas