[IPython-User] Hello

Fri Mar 29 12:02:07 CDT 2013

Hi,

Le 29 mars 2013 à 17:36, christian jeanguillaume a écrit :

> Hello everybody at ipython-user.
> I am a newbie I have just finished the
> installation of ipython notebook
> (on Fedora 18 in an elitebook 8570w from hp)
> so sorry me I will certainly ask stupid question.
> Although I have been using Mathematica notebook
> for more than 20 years, I think I will enjoy more
> working with IPython notebook.
>
> To begin, how can I browse or sort the archive
> mail of ipython to reduce it to the notebook use
> for example.

It depends on how you access the ml archive
http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/IPython-User-f1657224.html
has a search functionality for example.
Personally I've all locally and use my mail client to search.
Google work fine to.

Stackoverflow also have ipython/ipython-notebook tags.

I don't know how fedora install, but you should have example in
docs/examples/notebooks or examples/notebooks
depending on the version you run.
You can either cd into the directory and run ipython notebook
or use --notebook-dir=/path/to/examples/ to start the notebook in theses folder.

> Then It is a great idea to split between code and
> markdown cell.
> But it seem that the markdown is reduced to title
> with any number of # and that's all.

I'm not quite sure what you want to say with that.
1 to 6 # at the beginning of a line is the way to do title in MD, even if with IPtyhon
you better use heading cell, for different reason, but going to  next line and typing
should also work...

> I was unable to visualise an image with
> ![]('url of the image')
> Does somebody have realised that?

Local image or remote ?
It does work for me.

> I installed mathjax, to be run in local as
> indicated, but the latex visualisation seems to
> ignore the greek letters (either local or connected).
> Can somebody help me, what is missing in my
> installation?

Can you share a notebook with the issue so that we can look locally ?
Are you behind a proxy or something like that ?

> But still a great thank to the developpers who
> have created ipython and ipython notebook it is super!

Thanks !

My I suggest you to have a look at
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/A-gallery-of-interesting-IPython-Notebooks

It will give you example of what you can do, and you'll be able to download them to see how things are done.

Feel free to ask questions,

--
Matthias