[IPython-User] ipython drops into python prompt

John Reid j.reid@mail.cryst.bbk.ac...
Thu Oct 3 04:01:27 CDT 2013

On 19/09/13 16:55, John Reid wrote:
> I've scrapped the virtualenv and reinstalled everything from scratch. I
> don't see this issue any more. I'm guessing it was an artifact of trying
> to update the ipython or python version without recreating the virtualenv.

Unfortunately I'm seeing this same behaviour again. I'm on a Ubuntu
12.04 box with the ipython 0.12.1 package installed using python 2.7.3.

When I install the latest ipython into a virtualenv:

virtualenv --system-site-packages virtualenv
. virtualenv/bin/activate
pip install --upgrade ipython

and then run ipython I drop into what looks like a python prompt which I
can Ctrl-D out of into the ipython prompt. I have no idea what is
happening. Does anyone have any clues how I might discover what's going
on here and how I can fix it?

john@dufay$ ipython
Activating auto-logging. Current session state plus future input saved.
Filename       : ipython_log.py
Mode           : append
Output logging : False
Raw input log  : False
Timestamping   : False
State          : active
Python 2.7.3 (default, Sep 26 2013, 20:03:06)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]:
Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)? y

The old version of ipython outside of the virtualenv works just fine. I
need some of the functionality in 1.1 though.

Thanks,
John.