[IPython-User] forking ipython notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Oct 3 11:45:21 CDT 2013

On 2 October 2013 09:51, Gerald Dalley <gerald.dalley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to take an existing ipython notebook session, fork it, and
> be able to access both the original and the forked notebooks?

To the best of my knowledge, no. I don't know what happens to sockets and
so on during a fork, but it's not something we've designed for at all.

> I tried my luck by forking, but unsurprisingly the forked process didn't
> appear in the notebook list as a new entry.

The list of notebooks is essentially a list of *files*, not processes. Each
notebook may have a running kernel associated with it, but there's no
provision for more than one entry for a single file.

Thomas