[IPython-User] iPython notebook kernel died

Kirk, James jkirk@cfa.harvard....
Wed Oct 9 08:30:12 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am having problems with the notebook kernel as it is dying immediately
upon opening and then continues trying to restart itself. I am receiving
the following errors in the terminal:

[IPKernelApp] CRITICAL | Bad config encountered during initialization:
[IPKernelApp] CRITICAL | Unrecognized flag: '--profile-dir'
2013-10-09 09:08:07.188 [NotebookApp] WARNING | KernelRestarter: restart
failed
2013-10-09 09:08:07.188 [NotebookApp] WARNING | Kernel
b03220cb-8b4a-4835-b0e5-f145aa571d10 died, removing from map.
ERROR:root:kernel b03220cb-8b4a-4835-b0e5-f145aa571d10 restarted failed!

I am using Python version 2.7.1 and iPython version 1.1.0. I am working
from a virtual environment so that I can access the developer's version of
astropy. I was not having any problems with the notebook within the virtual
environment until I tried to install another package in development which I
did via git clone. I installed ipython using pip install ipython. The
package is installed correctly as I can import it and use it when in a
terminal based ipython session but am not sure that in the process it may
have caused an issue with notebook.

I have tried making new ipython configuration files in case this was the
problem and also deleting all the configuration files so that when I start
up the notebook it creates the new default config files automatically but
neither of these work.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem they
would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

James Kirk