[IPython-User] Feature suggestions to ipython notebook

fjdu fujun.du@gmail....
Wed Sep 11 00:47:29 CDT 2013

I am quite a new user of ipython notebook, and I love it for its similarity
with the Mathematica notebook (which I used a few years ago) and it seems to
be even more powerful and flexible than the latter.

The following is a few features that I would like to see in the ipython
notebook. Some of them might already be there but I just don't know, and
some of them might have been suggested by others. They are roughly ordered
by my imagined ease of implementation.

1. Foldable/hidable input cells. I guess many people would like this. When
some input cells are long, it is very easy to get messed up and difficult to
navigate.

2. Block comment (like block indentation that is already implemented) by
selecting a block of code and then press the key combination control-m-# to
toggle the commenting status.

3. Highlight columns/rows. Highlighting columns is useful when a block of
code is too long (maybe longer than a screen page) and contains multiple
levels of indentations.

4. Search and replace. Currently I am using the browser's search function,
which helps to locate a word, but not very convenient.

5. Jump to the definition of a function (within the same notebook); a
function can be defined many times though.

6. Convert into pdf directly from the menu (similar to Google Drive's
"Download as pdf"), instead of having to type in some command. At first
(since I have only used the notebook for a few days) I thought the "print"
of the browser might just do the work, but it seems Chrome treats the whole
notebook as a single page.

7. An implementation of "literate programming", so to speak, or, to support
an even richer markup format (e.g., with title, author, table of contents,
sections, hyperlink between parts, different fonts, etc.). To be even more
crazy, it would be great if some cells can be marked as "LaTeX" and those
cells will be literally treated as a part of a LaTeX source file, and can
have commands like \title, \section, etc, and not just the "mathematical"
part of LaTeX. And when converting the whole notebook into LaTeX/pdf, the
code cells will be automatically included into certain LaTeX "code"
environment (or, some "magic" might be put at the first line of a cell so
that that cell may be included fully, as a snippet, or wholly ignored during
the conversion). The Sage Cloud now supports full LaTeX editing, though it
is independent of the notebook.