[IPython-User] Feature suggestions to ipython notebook

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias@gmail....
Wed Sep 11 04:02:57 CDT 2013

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 11 sept. 2013 à 07:47, fjdu <fujun.du@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I am quite a new user of ipython notebook, and I love it for its similarity
> with the Mathematica notebook (which I used a few years ago) and it seems to
> be even more powerful and flexible than the latter.
>
> The following is a few features that I would like to see in the ipython
> notebook. Some of them might already be there but I just don't know, and
> some of them might have been suggested by others. They are roughly ordered
> by my imagined ease of implementation.
>

> 2. Block comment (like block indentation that is already implemented) by
> selecting a block of code and then press the key combination control-m-# to
> toggle the commenting status.
Feature of underlying library.
Once shortcut are configurable should be easy to do.

> 3. Highlight columns/rows. Highlighting columns is useful when a block of
> code is too long (maybe longer than a screen page) and contains multiple
> levels of indentations.

Yes please, if got time to tackle this one that would be with pleasure. But CodeMirror does not as it support non-fixed-width font. Should be pure CSS and not too hard. Pr welcomed.

> 4. Search and replace. Currently I am using the browser's search function,
> which helps to locate a word, but not very convenient.

Not hard but as usual someone have to write it. Often requested, nobody took time to do a PR.

> 5. Jump to the definition of a function (within the same notebook); a
> function can be defined many times though.

Hard. Function might not even have been defined in the same frontend, and probably too Python specific not to be send as an extension.

> 6. Convert into pdf directly from the menu (similar to Google Drive's
> "Download as pdf"), instead of having to type in some command. At first
> (since I have only used the notebook for a few days) I thought the "print"
> of the browser might just do the work, but it seems Chrome treats the whole
> notebook as a single page.

Nbconvert UI will be added later to notebook but it is planed.

> 7. An implementation of "literate programming", so to speak, or, to support
> an even richer markup format (e.g., with title, author, table of contents,
> sections, hyperlink between parts, different fonts, etc.).

Planed.

> To be even more
> crazy, it would be great if some cells can be marked as "LaTeX" and those
> cells will be literally treated as a part of a LaTeX source file, and can
> have commands like \title, \section, etc, and not just the "mathematical"
> part of LaTeX. And when converting the whole notebook into LaTeX/pdf, the
> code cells will be automatically included into certain LaTeX "code"
> environment (or, some "magic" might be put at the first line of a cell so
> that that cell may be included fully, as a snippet, or wholly ignored during
> the conversion). The Sage Cloud now supports full LaTeX editing, though it
> is independent of the notebook.

Isn't it already the case for quite some time now?