[IPython-User] Feature suggestions to ipython notebook

fjdu fujun.du@gmail....
Wed Sep 11 07:56:35 CDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Matthias Bussonnier [via Python]
<ml-node+s6n5031827h86@n6.nabble.com> wrote:

> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
> Le 11 sept. 2013 à 07:47, fjdu <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>> 7. An implementation of "literate programming", so to speak, or, to
>> support
>> an even richer markup format (e.g., with title, author, table of contents,
>> sections, hyperlink between parts, different fonts, etc.).
>
> Planed.
>
>> To be even more
>> crazy, it would be great if some cells can be marked as "LaTeX" and those
>> cells will be literally treated as a part of a LaTeX source file, and can
>> have commands like \title, \section, etc, and not just the "mathematical"
>> part of LaTeX. And when converting the whole notebook into LaTeX/pdf, the
>> code cells will be automatically included into certain LaTeX "code"
>> environment (or, some "magic" might be put at the first line of a cell so
>> that that cell may be included fully, as a snippet, or wholly ignored
>> during
>> the conversion). The Sage Cloud now supports full LaTeX editing, though it
>> is independent of the notebook.
>
> Isn't it already the case for quite some time now?

I know ipython notebook has the %%latex magic, but I think it only
works for the "mathematical" part (such as $e^{i\pi}+1=0$) of LaTeX,
and not the "structural" part (commands like \title, \section,
\itemize, \ref, \cite, etc.), right?  By the way, the ability to hide
an input cell seems also needed here (not just for the code cells),
since it looks weird to display the LaTeX source just above the output
formulas.  I think treating a %%latex cell in the same way as a
markdown cell might be better looking.

What I essentially suggested is to use the full LaTeX as the markup
language for the notebook, to produce something like Knuth's tex.web;
so instead of setting different levels of headings from the menu, one
can use \section, \subsection, etc. for the same purpose.  It might
feel like something similar to TeXmacs (though I don't use it), not in
the sense of the editor commands, but in the sense of user interface.
To be clear, I am not suggesting to write a new LaTeX compiler, but
just to use the preinstalled system one.

In retrospect I think my suggestion about this is impractical (that's
why I said it is "crazy"), since the compilation of LaTeX can be
pretty slow (and may need more than one run) in some cases.

fjdu