[IPython-User] Feature suggestions to ipython notebook

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Wed Sep 11 12:02:07 CDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:48 PM, fjdu <fujun.du@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am quite a new user of ipython notebook, and I love it for its similarity
> with the Mathematica notebook (which I used a few years ago) and it seems to
> be even more powerful and flexible than the latter.
>
> The following is a few features that I would like to see in the ipython
> notebook. Some of them might already be there but I just don't know, and
> some of them might have been suggested by others. They are roughly ordered
> by my imagined ease of implementation.
>
> 1. Foldable/hidable input cells. I guess many people would like this. When
> some input cells are long, it is very easy to get messed up and difficult to
> navigate.
>
> 2. Block comment (like block indentation that is already implemented) by
> selecting a block of code and then press the key combination control-m-# to
> toggle the commenting status.
>
> 3. Highlight columns/rows. Highlighting columns is useful when a block of
> code is too long (maybe longer than a screen page) and contains multiple
> levels of indentations.
>
> 4. Search and replace. Currently I am using the browser's search function,
> which helps to locate a word, but not very convenient.
>
> 5. Jump to the definition of a function (within the same notebook); a
> function can be defined many times though.

This is a hard problem in general, due to the dynamic nature of
python. But libraries like Jedi do a pretty good job.

It might be worth some collaboration between IPython and Jedi to see
if Jedi's goto definitions and goto assignments can be made to work in
the notebook.

Aaron Meurer