[IPython-User] Feature suggestions to ipython notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 11 12:31:23 CDT 2013

On 11 September 2013 10:02, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 5. Jump to the definition of a function (within the same notebook); a
> > function can be defined many times though.
>
> This is a hard problem in general, due to the dynamic nature of
> python. But libraries like Jedi do a pretty good job.

Actually, I think it might be fairly easy to jump to the *cell* where a
function was defined, which is probably good enough for most cases. Each
cell is executed with a different 'filename' containing its number within
the session, and code objects created in that cell record that filename:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/6526926

So you could just parse out the prompt number, and find the corresponding
cell. Of course, that's not foolproof, e.g. if the cell is merged or split
after running it.

Thomas