[IPython-User] Printouts of IPython notebooks

Steven G. Johnson stevenj@alum.mit....
Wed Sep 11 19:50:27 CDT 2013

Matthias BUSSONNIER wrote:
>> What do you do for printing? Am i the only want to have hard copies of
>> the notebooks?
>
> Use nbconvert.

It would be really nice to have a "Print..." menu option directly in the
notebook in order to run nbconvert to produce HTML and then send the
result to the browser's print function (or at least open up a window
with a "printable" version.

Having to process the .ipynb from a separate command-line utility is not
only inconvenient and difficult for users to discover, it is a major
obstacle in a client-server setup.

We are running IPython (with the Julia kernel, i.e. IJulia) on a cluster
at MIT for some of our classes this semester.  Users with appropriate
web certificates can just go to a certain URL to run on the cluster,
without having to install anything.  So, they don't necessarily have
IPython installed on their own machine at all, and running nbconvert is
not an option.

Just printing the notebook window from Firefox, however, only seems to
print out one page's worth of the notebook, truncating any addition
content.  Ugliness we could deal with, but content truncation is
obviously not workable.

--SGJ