[IPython-User] Printouts of IPython notebooks

Tue Sep 17 10:05:13 CDT 2013

Le 12 sept. 2013 à 02:50, Steven G. Johnson a écrit :

> Matthias BUSSONNIER wrote:
>>> What do you do for printing? Am i the only want to have hard copies of
>>> the notebooks?
>>
>> Use nbconvert.
>
> It would be really nice to have a "Print..." menu option directly in the
> notebook in order to run nbconvert to produce HTML and then send the
> result to the browser's print function (or at least open up a window
> with a "printable" version.
>
> Having to process the .ipynb from a separate command-line utility is not
> only inconvenient and difficult for users to discover, it is a major
> obstacle in a client-server setup.
>
> We are running IPython (with the Julia kernel, i.e. IJulia) on a cluster
> at MIT for some of our classes this semester.  Users with appropriate
> web certificates can just go to a certain URL to run on the cluster,
> without having to install anything.  So, they don't necessarily have
> IPython installed on their own machine at all, and running nbconvert is
> not an option.
>
> Just printing the notebook window from Firefox, however, only seems to
> print out one page's worth of the notebook, truncating any addition
> content.  Ugliness we could deal with, but content truncation is
> obviously not workable.

Yes this is known and was partly a deliberate choice to remove print views from menu as it was broken.
(partly tracked in https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/4196 with temporary workaround)
It will be fixed, and nbconvert will be use to re-enable print-view (as well as download as : PDF/Markdown/TeX/Rst…etc)
It is just a piece of work that have not made it to 1.0, and will be integrated later.
There is just a lot of work to do.

Hopefully people will came along and help us implement that with a reasonable API.
This is not particularly hard, but to be done someone need to take time to do it.

We also need the auto-detect julia to highlight correctly. should also be easy as Pygments
already know julia. But once again, someone need to take half a day, sit and write it,
we'll alway be happy to review and guide if someone does a PR.

--
Matthias