[IPython-User] ipython drops into python prompt

John Reid j.reid@mail.cryst.bbk.ac...
Wed Sep 18 13:46:58 CDT 2013

Hi,

I'm using ipython in a virtualenv and when I start it from the command
line it drops me into a python style prompt (see below) from which I
must Ctrl-D before I get to the IPython prompt. Have I misconfigured
something? Also when I run a script I also have to Ctrl-D to remove this
initial prompt. Any help appreciated....

John.

john@dufay$ ipython
Activating auto-logging. Current session state plus future input saved.
Filename       : ipython_log.py
Mode           : append
Output logging : False
Raw input log  : False
Timestamping   : False
State          : active
Python 2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

>>> %run
  File "<console>", line 1
    %run
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

In [1]: %run
WARNING: you must provide at least a filename.