[IPython-User] windows installer problem

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Mon Sep 23 08:41:51 CDT 2013

I have a student who is using IPython for a project.  He needs to use some
packages that aren't supported in Canopy Free and he has had some problems
with Anaconda.  So, I suggested he try downloading and installing the
packages himself.  He is running Windows; I am pretty sure it is Windows 7.
 I wanted to do a test for him, so I booted my laptop into Windows and
uninstalled everything.  I then installed Python 2.7.5 from the msi along
with the following packages:

 numpy-1.7.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe
matplotlib-1.3.0.win32-py2.7.exe
scipy-0.12.0-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe

and then I installed  ipython-1.1.0.py2-win32.exe, which I downloaded from
github.

The installer doesn't add anything to my windows start menu (I am running
Windows 7).  There is not even an ipython folder in the start menu.

If I navigate to C:\Python27\Scripts and try to run ipython.exe, I get the
following traceback:

C:\Python27\Scripts>ipython.exe
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\ipython-script.py", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

Is there a way to get IPython to work in windows without Canopy or Anaconda?

Thanks,

Ryan