[IPython-User] [numfocus] Microsoft donates $100, 000 to IPython via NumFOCUS

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas@pettiaux...
Fri Sep 27 01:42:49 CDT 2013

2013/9/27 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>

> Microsoft is a very large company, and in recent years they've been
> building relations with various parts of the open source community.

indeed

> As indicated in our brief note:
>
> http://ipython.org/microsoft-donation-2013.html
>
> our collaboration with MS dates back several years and has been extremely
> productive. Before it had consisted mostly of technical discussions that
> led to their Python Tools for Visual Studio (http://pytools.codeplex.com/,
> which is BTW fully open source) and some small consulting efforts.  But as
> described here by Shahrokh:
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/1n72bm/microsoft_donates_100000_to_the_ipython_team/ccg1eez
>
> the PTVS team's interactions with MS Research led to them being interested
> in stronger support.

thanks for the note.

>> Being recognized at the same time by the Free Software Foundation (ok,
>> they rewarded the man, Fernando Perez who created and drives the free
>> software project and code) and by Microsoft, is quite an achievement !
>>

> Thanks, but like everything in both IPython and the larger scientific
> Python ecosystem, it's all about a long, sustained team effort.
>
> you're modest. Having a group of people working efficiently, on the long
run as a team is not a small achievement. I recognize the team work fully.

I appreciate your other mail about «string attached» and the fact that
Microsoft gave the money for the best and without conditions.

Thanks,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux - +32 496 24 55 01 - http://rmll.info - http://lepacte.be