[IPython-User] Some thoughts on typography; how do they fit with current progress?

Adam Hughes hughesadam87@gmail....
Tue Feb 11 12:54:34 CST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <
bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi adam.
>
> Before forgetting, why IPython-user and not IPython-dev ?

I intended to send this to dev, sorry.

> Le 10 févr. 2014 à 19:02, Adam Hughes a écrit :
>
> > Before I get to that, I noticed that the notebook viewer does not render
> the background image of a notebook that, on my local machine, appears fine.
>  It also does not center the notebook within the viewing frame.  Is this
> expected?  IE, that some disparity between rendering in the nbviewer and on
> a local machine is unavoidable?
>
> we do our best to keep them as close as possible, please file an issue
> and/or make a PR

Ok, I will submit a github issue.  Don't think I have enough understanding
of the codebase to tackle a solution :/

> > In any case, the richness of the CSS really inspired me.  I really liked
> Brian Granger's "load_style()" function, and shamelessly bundled some of
> this behavior in an active project of ours.  (Tried to give credit and cite
> original sources in the source code)  We put a few .css files along with
> the bundle with the intention of having users changing the notebook style
> in one line.  Basically as follows:
>
> I see several problem with that.
>
> 1) is that you shouldn't have to use a kernel action to change the theme.
> 2) is that it bundle the theme in the notebook and theme is by definition
> not part of the content.
>     if the html that wrap the notebook changes, (and by if I mean when it
> will change), your notebook will be broken.
>    also embededing css will probably break export to rst, pdf .... etc.
> 3) it blocks browser rendering.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.  Do you think the "browser rendering" might
actually be why my background is disappearing in the nbviewer?

> We did discuss about that at last meeting, and at some point we want to
> add a metadata key to the notebook that give a theme "name" and/or url.
> A list of default theme would be "blessed" and maintained while the app
> evolve to be sure they do not "break" in future.
>

> Any way for the time being, we are out of bandwidth to work on that, and
> keep in mind that **if** we have theme,
> only a few will be maintained by us as it takes a lot of bandwidth.
>
> You should have a look at less.js this is how we build our css using
> variable.
> I think there are python binding, but it mostly works using node.
>
> see there for a "theme" builder:
> https://gist.github.com/Carreau/8637113#file-maketheme-js

Ok, thanks.  I'll try this out, but have never used node or js, so probably
won't take much away.

Thanks