[IPython-User] When you raise something to an exponent that is more then one character long, only the first character is displayed as superscript

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Tue Feb 18 17:03:16 CST 2014

Don't confuse the convenience SymPy gives you with LaTeX. LaTeX is dumb, in
that it knows nothing about the math it is rendering. It's not a math
system, it's a typesetting system. ^ just superscripts the next character,
or the next group of characters if they are grouped with {}.

The latex() function in SymPy will show you what it is really outputting to
IPython to render:

In [5]: latex(Eq(a**n*a**m, a**(n + m)))
Out[5]: 'a^{m} a^{n} = a^{m + n}'

It's often easiest to just copy-paste this, rather than trying to type it
out manually. Note that in general you should print the result, as when it
shows as a string backslashes will be escaped, so things like \frac{x}{y}
will come up as '\\frac{x}{y}'.

Aaron Meurer