[IPython-User] Whats the right way to install modules via pip if you are using conda?

Matt Merrifield rmatthewmerrifield@gmail....
Mon Feb 24 16:09:55 CST 2014

I had similar problems switching from Python(x,y) to Anaconda. I couldn't
figure out where pip and easy_install were putting things when I had both
distributions installed. Things were... frustratingly inconsistent.

I eventually gave up and uninstalled *everything*. I removed Python(x,y)
*and* Anaconda  through Control Panel -> add/remove programs, then I
cleared my PYTHONPATH environmental variable, deleted my
c:\python2.7 directory including the site-packages folder, and my anaconda
directory. I even deleted the local copies of the personal packages I'm
writing (they're all on github anyway).

Then I just re-installed the latest version of Anaconda, and the few
third-party packages I needed via "conda install [pkg]" (like
minimalmodbus<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/MinimalModbus/>)
and "git clone". I added my PycharmProjects folder back to my PYTHONPATH
variable. Everything works fine now. The whole process took about 45
minutes. Any packages I need now I just download them with conda or
easy_install, and they all wind up in the right place.

It's not an elegant solution (I don't use virtualenv either) and it's
probably not what you were looking for, but sometimes you have to take a
Sherman's-march-to-the-sea<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman's_March_to_the_Sea>
approach. It
worked for me.