[IPython-User] best practice for notebook use?

Fritz Payr fritz.payr@salzburgresearch...
Tue Jan 28 09:51:45 CST 2014

I am a fan of IPython notebooks for doing and sharing scientific work,
but I see that in the course of my PhD-studies I have run into a number
of practical problems using them, e.g.

  * combining version control and notebooks (I find it hard to save
    notebooks so they don't get lost between versions or when migrating
    my PC);
  * how to write notebooks that are reproducible (i.e. executable) /and/
    readable;
  * how to organize
      o code (3rd party libraries, own classes and modules,...),
      o data (primary, or intermediate results), and
      o presentation (in the notebook);
  * how to publish a notebook and a journal-paper "as a useful combination";
  * etc.

Is recommendable documentation of best practices available?
(If not: Do best practices at least exist as tacit understanding amongst
experts? Can you point out good examples?)
Are good sources available outside the IPython-cosmos (seeing that the
problem may be about presenting scientific results in general)?

Thanks for any hints, ideas, or references!
Fritz