[Numpy-discussion] Re: [Matrix-SIG] An Experiment in code-cleanup.

Pearu Peterson pearu at ioc.ee
Tue Feb 8 13:46:16 CST 2000

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I know there are several opinions, so I'll offer mine.  We need
> simple rules that are easy to teach a newcomer.  Right now the rule is
> farily simple in that coercion always proceeds up.  But, mixed arithmetic
> with a float and a double does not produce something with double
> precision -- yet that's our rule.  I think any automatic conversion should
> go the other way.

Remark:
If you are consistent then you say here that mixed arithmetic with an int
and a float/double produces int?! Right? (I hope that I am wrong.)

> Boolean
> Character
> Unsigned
>         long
> 	int
> 	short
> Signed
> 	long
> 	int
> 	short

How about `/* long long */'? Is this left out intentionally?

> Real
> 	/* long double */
> 	double
> 	float

Travis, while you are doing revision on NumPy, could you also estimate the
degree of difficulty of introducing column major order arrays?

Pearu