[Numpy-discussion] Re: [Matrix-SIG] An Experiment in code-cleanup.

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Tue Feb 8 14:30:23 CST 2000

> So what changes to NumPy are needed?
>
> 1) Instead of a typecode (or in addition to the typecode for backward
>    compatibility), I suggest an optional format keyword, which can be
>    used to specify the mixed-type or object format.  Namely, format =
>    'i, f, s10', where 'i' is an integer type, 'f' a floating point
>    type, and s10 is a string of 10 characters.

I'd suggest to go all the way and make it a real object, not just a string.
That object can then have useful attributes, like size in bytes, maxval,
minval, some indication of precision, etc.

Logically, itemsize should be an attribute of the numeric type of an array,
not of the array itself.

--david ascher