[Numpy-discussion] single precision version of interp

Joe Van Andel vanandel at atd.ucar.edu
Mon Mar 13 14:40:29 CST 2000

As I've previously mentioned to Paul, I need a single precision version
of 'interp()', so I can use it on large single precision arrays, without
returning a double precision array.

In my own copy of NumPy, I've written such a routine, and added it to
'arrayfns.c '.  Naturally, I want to see this functionality built into
the official release, so I do not have to apply my own patches to new
releases.

Can we decide how such single precision needs are accomodated?  Should
there be a keyword argument on the 'interp()' call, that calls the
single precision version?  Or should the caller invoke 'interpf()',
rather than 'interp()?'

I don't much care what the solution looks like, as long as people agree
that:
1) we need such functionality in NumPy.

2) we can establish a precedent on how single precision vs double
precision methods are invoked.

Please let me know your opinions on how this should be resolved.

Thanks much!

--
Joe VanAndel
http://www.atd.ucar.edu/~vanandel/