[Numpy-discussion] Initialization of array?

Rob W. W. Hooft rob at hooft.net
Wed Nov 29 15:00:58 CST 2000

 DS> When I initialize an array, I use a = ones(shape)*initial_val

 DS> But, I am wondering if Numpy has more efficient way. For example,
 DS> a = array(initial_value, shape)

Looking at the definition of "ones":

def ones(shape, typecode='l', savespace=0):
    """ones(shape, typecode=Int, savespace=0) returns an array of the given
    dimensions which is initialized to all ones.
    """
    return zeros(shape, typecode, savespace)+array(1, typecode)

It looks like you could try a=zeros(shape)+initial_val instead.

Hm.. I might do some experimenting.

Rob

--
=====   rob at hooft.net          http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/  =====