[Numpy-discussion] NumPy built distributions

Goodger, David dgoodger at atsautomation.com
Tue Sep 12 09:33:22 CDT 2000

ATTN: Numeric Python project administrators

There is a lot of interest in NumPy out there. Every time a new version of
Numeric or Python comes out, people are interested in obtaining built
distributions. Many of us are not able to build from source; without a
repository of built distributions I'm afraid that many people will give up.

The MacOS community is lucky that Jack Jansen, who maintains the MacPython
distribution, also includes a built NumPy with his installers. Other OSes
are not so lucky.

Robin Becker (robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk) has built NumPy for Win32 many
times and emails copies to those who request them. Unfortunately for him,
but fortunately for NumPy, the demand is getting too high for this method of
distribution. It would be great if these built distributions were available
for all, with minimal overhead to developers/packagers.

Would it be possible to add Robin's installers to the FTP site? How should
he (or I, if he's not able) go about this?

David Goodger
Systems Administrator, Advanced Systems
Automation Tooling Systems Inc., Automation Systems Division
direct: (519) 653-4483 ext. 7121    fax: (519) 650-6695
e-mail: dgoodger at atsautomation.com
        goodger at users.sourceforge.net