[Numpy-discussion] Tagging releases under CVS (was RE: [Numpy-discussion] Building Numpy under Python 1.6, Windows)

Jonathan M. Gilligan jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Sep 19 09:53:55 CDT 2000

To tag the version you currently have checked out, go into the root
directory of the module (e.g., Numeric) and AFTER CHECKING IN ALL
MODIFICATIONS do

cvs tag [-c] <symbolic-tag>

where <symbolic-tag> is the tag name. This will apply <symbolic-tag> to the
current revision of each file that you have checked out. It is important to
note that the tag is applied to the repository so it is essential that you
check in all modified files and resolve conflicts BEFORE tagging the
repository. The -c flag tells cvs to check that all files in the local
directory are unmodified and warns you if they are not.

The restrictions on the tag name are not well-documented, but if they match
the regular expression

^[A-Za-z][A-Za-z_0-9-]+$

they will work (i.e., matching this regex is a sufficient but perhaps not
necessary condition). Tags that begin with [0-9] or that contain [ \t.,;:]
will not work.

If you want to go back and tag old releases without checking them out, then
if there is a target date that you can use to identify the version (e.g., a
release date), you can run

cvs rtag -D <date> <symbolic-tag> <module>

Where <date> is the date. For format, the following excerpt from the
Cederqvist manual may help:

>A wide variety of date formats are supported by CVS.  The most standard
>ones are ISO8601 (from the International Standards Organization) and the
>Internet e-mail standard (specified in RFC822 as amended by RFC1123).
>
>ISO8601 dates have many variants but a few examples are:
>
>1972-09-24
>1972-09-24 20:05

This command will tag all files in <module> at the latest revision on or
before <date> with tag <symbolic-tag>.

I hope this is helpful to you.

At 05:29 PM 9/18/2000, Paul F. Dubois wrote:
>We haven't been doing cvs tags. I suppose if I could remember how to do them
>I would do them when I am the one cutting the release (CVS is not my usual
>source control system).

Best regards,
Jonathan