[Numpy-discussion] Meta: too many numerical libraries doing the same thing?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Dec 6 23:41:02 CST 2001

"eric" <eric at enthought.com> writes:

> as a widely used tool.  If you require multiple installations, you loose a
> huge number of potential users.

In the early days of NumPy, I had a similar problem because many
people didn't succeed in installing it properly. I ended up preparing
a specially packaged Python interpreter with NumPy plus my own
scientific modules. With increasingly frequent releases of NumPy and
Python itself, this became impossible to keep up. And since we have
distutils, installation questions became really rare, being mostly
about compatibility of my code with this or that version of NumPy (due
to the change in the C API export).

On the other hand, I work in a community dominated by Unix users,
who come in two varieties: Linux people, who just get RPMs, and
others, who typically have a competent systems administrator. The
Windows world might have different requirements.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr