[Numpy-discussion] Numeric 21.0a1 in CVS

Paul F. Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Thu Dec 27 11:21:03 CST 2001

Version 21.0a1 -- in CVS only
Please help me test the following. I have tested on Windows / Python
2.2.

Implement true division operations for Python 2.2 (Bruce Sherwood, our
hero).

New functions in Numeric; they work on any sequence a that can be
converted to a
Numeric array.

        def rank (a):
            "Get the rank of a (the number of dimensions, not a matrix
rank)"
        def shape (a):
            "Get the shape of a"
        def size (a, axis=None):
            "Get the number of elements in a, or along a certain axis."

        def average (a, axis=0, weights=None, returned = 0):
            """average(a, axis=0, weights=None)
               Computes average along indicated axis.
               Inputs can be integer or floating types.
               Return type is floating but depends on spacesaver flags.
               If weights are given, result is
sum(a*weights)/sum(weights)
               weights if given must have a's shape or be the 1-d with
length the size
               of a in the given axis.
               If returned, return a tuple: the result and the sum of
the weights
               or count of values.
               if axis is None, average over the entire array

               raises ZeroDivisionError if appropriate when result is
scalar.
            """