[Numpy-discussion] Threading, multi-processors, and Numeric Python

Joe Van Andel vanandel at atd.ucar.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:02:40 CST 2001

I've written Numeric Python code (with Python 1.5.2) to analyze weather
radar data.  In an attempt to speed up this code, I used threads to
perform some of the computations.

I'm running on a dual processor Linux machine running 2.4.1 with SMP
enabled.  I'm using Numeric -17.3.0 with Python 1.5.2

When I run the threaded code, and monitor the system with 'top', 1
processor spends much of its time idle, and I rarely see two copies of
my 'compute' thread executing.  Each thread is computing its results
from different arrays.  However, all arrays are referenced from the same
dictionary.

Any ideas on how to get both threads computing at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

--
Joe VanAndel
http://www.atd.ucar.edu/~vanandel/