[Numpy-discussion] Questions about organization

Tony Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Sat Jan 20 23:12:59 CST 2001

I've been trying to get the setup.py scripts in the Numeric distribution to
build binary distributions.  I have tried several things but what always
ends up being a problem is the current Numeric organization, specifically
LALITE and RANLIB.  They just don't fit well with the distutils paradigm.

If they were packaged as part of the Numeric core but were a build-time
option, I think that I could get things to work much more easily.  The
configuration part of distutils is still a bit imature but overcomming that
would just require a slightly more involved setup.py.

I don't want to go ahead if there is no chance of it being accepted.

Tony